Are we selling ourselves short?

I haven’t seen an online producer get the same respect & notoriety as guys like Metro Boomin & Zaytoven. Hell, the majority of online guys never even show their face…lol.

In a 2011 interview, Metro Boomin went into detail about why he doesn’t use Soundclick & why producers should never sell beats for $25. He said he was leasing beats for $300. I went and checked his old tweets & it was confirmed. I even saw him quoting $500 leases.

I went back & checked Zaytoven’s tweets & saw him quoting $1500 leases years ago. His protege Cassius Jay? $750 leases. I know artists are paying these prices. Meanwhile, online producers are sitting around wondering if $50 is too much for a lease.

Zaytoven said that he gives big artists beats for free because it attracts people that want to be in the music business & then he charges them the high prices because of his brand.

Do you think Zay & Metro would be where they are today if they continually sold beats for the cheap?

Think about how many beats have be sold to make decent money.

One thing to notice is that low budget beats attract low budget artists. Artists complaining about how they dont have any money or that $50 is too much for a beat probably have 0 knowledge about how to advertise & promote to actually become successful. This results in both the artist & producer not being able to prosper due to lack of awareness.

There’s more to add to this…but…what are your thoughts? Lets discuss.

Definitely selling ourselves short with cheap prices, no one is gonna take you serious if they hear hot music that sounds like it generates millions yet it’s only 25$ sounds like a joke or whoever is selling stole the beat and has no clue of the value of the track depending on how hot it is.

Its crazy but true. How do you reach those people directly though. Everyone has hoops and rings that you have to jump through to get to them. Ive been told by a few vets that I grew up on to raise my prices. I will take their advice next year. Finishing out my Christmas Beat Pack deals currently. Longevity is the name of the game though. We as producers have to go for tv and film placements, get into music composition, and go beyind making beats.