Selling beats with samples?

Lots of people do sample and remakes how would a producer go by selling them here on MyFlashStore are can they sell them .If not sell them can they promo them here??? :unsure:

As far as i’m aware, you can sell sampled beats as long as you are clear to the customer that they are responsible for the clearing of samples before they sell the song they make with the beat.

Yeah that’s pretty much true - you can sell the beat if the artist knows that they’re responsible to clear it for use - but the prob I have with that is if you don’t wanna go to the trouble or expense to clear it - do you think they will - of course it depends on what kind of artist you’re dealing wit but we don’t always know that - and if a problem does come up for infringement I’m sure the producer who made $$ off it will somehow be held liable - I look at as a chance - one I decided not to take - it’s not worth the headaches it could cause - I’ve got a few beats I love that I used samples but they stay in the lab till I decide to clear them - you can check this link for some basic info - also check out looperman.com - you find alot of great info about all aspects of the business, including sampling

Ok sorry I don’t know what is wrong but the link isn’t even showing up - it’s just not showing up in my post - so I guess I’ll just put it here and you’ll have to copy and paste to your browser - sorry

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/permission-sampled-music-sample-clearance-30165.html;jsessionid=A07D41D4CC54D9A41F6D9A610ECEDBCC

Ok now it’s working lol sorry

You would have to license the music. Just like how you would license your music to the artist. To get licenseing visit: harryfox.com
there you can legally use the the samples.

Thanks for the input I will look into it…

I am sorry…but its kinda easy to see that you can get sued even if you make it clear to the buyer that they are responsible for the sample.

Think of it this way. I make a beat sampling a Michael Jackson song. The track is Hot. Someone pays me 10,000 for it. I tell them they are responsible for clearing the samples. The song comes out and blows up. The lawyers attack. The buyer tells them who produced it. I hear a knock at the door. End of story !

If producers could use the shield of “the buyer must clear the sample” you could technically take a whole Michael Jackson song (or ANY POPULAR ARTIST)drop a kick and snare under the whole song…and sell it to someone willing to buy it…hey you dont even need the kick and snare…why not just sell them the whole song and tell them they need to clear it. If this was legal…I would go out and buy every hit song ever recorded drop a beat under it and just start selling them…LOL…ridiculous.

Common sense should make this easy to see.

on another note… I make beats with samples… and because I am low on the radar I dont worry too much… but trust me…if one of my tracks blows up… I will be expecting to get that “shut it down” letter sooner or later

Its a risky ordeal be sure you know what your getting into.

knockshouse wrote:

[quote]on another note… I make beats with samples… and because I am low on the radar I dont worry too much… but trust me…if one of my tracks blows up… I will be expecting to get that “shut it down” letter sooner or later[/quote] So you do use samples in beats Knock??

CennsationalMusic wrote:

[quote]knockshouse wrote:

Yeah I do. Although I have been slowly getting away from sampling. Sometimes it messes with the creative process knowing (while making the beat) that as soon as I add samples the publishing aint all mine anymore…LOL

i have beats with some samples too,not all of my beats have samples,but some of them do,see when i sample or loop a sample i dont sample from anything thats popular

If you wanted to get gully with it, you could cut your losses and sell the beat as a service and not a song. In other words, the song is the product of a service you provided. You didn’t sell the song. The license agreement would have to state that you were hired as a musician to play music or use samples as requested by new owner of the track.

Once again, this divorces you entirely from the song as a producer and any positives that may come having your name attached to it.

Just play your samples over.

I know I’m late on this conversation but i don’t know why people are scared of sampling. Has anybody not realized that 90% of hit records that are hip hop and were on the radio all contain samples? If your song is that hot, the label will pay to clear your sample. Look at it this way, you have a song its $70,000 to clear the sample, label will pay it off knowing the potential revenue that song will make e.g. 300,000 digital downloads, they make money every time it plays on the radio, they make money every time you perform it at a show, they make money if it gets on any trailer etc all this adds to a couple of millions easily! Not to be on anyones nuts, but Drake’s Best I ever Had made single at least $5million! And it had samples in it. Recently Lupe’s Show goes on made a killing and it contains a more recent sample of Modest Mouse’s Float On, a song that was only made in about 2007. I can name countless records where samples where used. If your song, not beat, the actual song is realy worth the trouble, an artists will find somebody to clear the sample for use because its an investment that usually pays off. So i dunno why people are scared of samples really smh Misinformation I guess :dry:

I know I’m late on this conversation but i don’t know why people are scared of sampling. Has anybody not realized that 90% of hit records that are hip hop and were on the radio all contain samples? If your song is that hot, the label will pay to clear your sample. Look at it this way, you have a song its $70,000 to clear the sample, label will pay it off knowing the potential revenue that song will make e.g. 300,000 digital downloads, they make money every time it plays on the radio, they make money every time you perform it at a show, they make money if it gets on any trailer etc all this adds to a couple of millions easily! Not to be on anyones nuts, but Drake’s Best I ever Had made single at least $5million! And it had samples in it. Recently Lupe’s Show goes on made a killing and it contains a more recent sample of Modest Mouse’s Float On, a song that was only made in about 2007. I can name countless records where samples where used. If your song, not beat, the actual song is realy worth the trouble, an artists will find somebody to clear the sample for use because its an investment that usually pays off. So i dunno why people are scared of samples really smh Misinformation I guess :dry:

Sorry QSB… But I think your logic applies to years ago. These days ALL labels and Reps are scared to death to “go out on a limb” which is exactly what they will be doing if they decide to clear a sample and it flops. The one problem when you said “if a song is that hot the label will clear it” is that the song must be blowing up before the label will clear it… and if the label tries to clear it AFTER its blowing up then the publisher and writer of the record are going to be in a position of TOTAL POWER.Which means they can not only say NO but also get ALL the royalties on whats sold so far. Perfect example is what dude above said about BREATHE from Fab and Just blaze. They let it leak out…it blew up… then then had to give up ALL their publishing. Labels aint taking NO CHANCES these days. In order for you to even get signed you dame near have to have a video out with a song that already sold30 thousand plus. So in a nutshell…the label aint clearing NOTHING cause they are scared.

It comes down to a love for the art. If you love making samples, you still continue to do it, even if you do come away without money, because the money is not what music is about.

@knockshouse & MIQVERSE
yes I understand that record labels aren’t taking risks, but to say they aren’t clearing samples as much is simply wrong. Again, look at most of the songs that have been hot in hip hop, and I’m not saying in the past, I’m talking now and most recently. The only thing records labels aren’t investing in is artist development because they want a finished product that will generate money for them. simple as that, that’s why they got 360 deals and all kind of screwy tricks to make money. Music might not be selling as much as in the past, but the usual cash cows will continue to sell. Nway back to the topic. The Faboulous example was a good one, but how many times does this happen? Rarely…besides even if fab didn’t make money off that single it was a classic that earned him a lot of respect to this day. It doesn’t always have to be a case of instantly cashing in etc He probably knew that he wouldn’t make anything before they even put the record out, and so did the record label, but they still put it out cos they knew the kind of response that track would have. Imo, i don’t think he has made a track better than that breathe track ever lol Another point, is if you cant clear the sample, just put it on a mixtape, a ton of rappers do that and sell them on their sites, out the trunk etc if your promo game is right you will make money(DJ DRAMA was up to about 100,000 mixtapes sold on the streets b4 the feds came to get him) but that’s another story. Overall, samples aren’t bad at all. Again if you have what the record company thinks they can make money from, why wouldn’t they invest???
E.g. These were Kanye’s 2 singles he made videos for and both are sampled
Power" contains elements from “It’s Your Thing” by Cold Grits, contains elements of “Afromerica” by Continent Number 6, and contains material sampled from “21st Century Schizoid Man” performed by King Crimson.
“Runaway” contains a sample of “Expo 83” performed by Backyard Heavies, and contains excerpts of from “Rick James ‘Live at Long Beach, CA’ 1981”.
Both of them did numbers too.

@CennsationalMusic Lastly, sure people do music for the love of it. But are you telling me, if there was no potential gain there would be a lot of people doing it? Just look online alone at how many producers and rappers there are…if there was no money to be made I doubt it would be this saturated in my honest opinion. As far as mainstream rappers, they mostly do it for the money after their first 1 or 2 albums…The love is there, but if money wasn’t involved I doubt a lot of people would wanna get into the bizz.

I’m not saying you can’t make money, I’m saying that using a sample in one or two songs and not making money on those songs can be for the art, not business. I understand that you have to make money, but if you truly love music, sometimes I feel that not making money on one song isn’t bed, especially if you get publicity off of it.

CennsationalMusic wrote:

Totally agree

But also on the license it says, the producer will not be held accountable for any legal action/repercussions etc.

So if the buyer agrees then, i think youre clear.